Transanal Endoscopic Microsurgery (TEM) in Kansas City
Transanal Endoscopic Microsurgery (TEM) is a minimally invasive surgery that can be used to remove rectal tumors, rectal fistulas or colon polyps. Because of medical advancements, an abdominal incision is no longer always required for colorectal surgery. TEM uses non-invasive techniques and tools to be able to remove these tumors by entering the colon instead of making an incision.
Schedule an online consultation today by calling (816) 941-0800, option 1.
What Is Transanal Endoscopic Microsurgery used for?
Transanal Endoscopic Microsurgery is used to remove growths from the colon, such as:
- Colon Polyps – growths in the colon. Sometimes, these can turn into Colon Cancer.
- Colon Cancer – if you are diagnosed with early-stage colon cancer, a Transanal Endoscopic Microsurgery may be capable of removing an early-stage tumor without the need for a colon resection or colostomy bag.
- Colon or Anal Fistulas – A fistula is a tunnel, or ulcer that can create small pathways that waste may get stuck in, and become infected. These, sometimes, can be corrected with a Transanal Endoscopic Microsurgery.
Depending on each patient’s case, there may be a better solution for these problems. To learn more, visit our Colorectal Surgery Services page.
Am I a candidate for Transanal Endoscopic Microsurgery?
Unfortunately, not all colorectal surgeries can be done with minimally invasive technologies. However, as approved by the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgery, if you have the following indicators, you may be a candidate for Transanal Endoscopic Microsurgery.
- Lesion is not very large (less than 3 centimeters)
- Polyp has not become cancerous
- High-risk for open surgery
- Cancer does not surround a nerve (is not a perineural invasion)
- Cancer hasn’t spread to the blood vessels or lymph system (lymphovascular invasion)
Why Choose Transanal Endoscopic Microsurgery?
TEM offers a better view of the lumen of the colon than traditional surgery does. TEM is also non-invasive, thus there are no external incisions, no external scars, less bleeding, a shorter stay in the hospital or surgery center, and less of a risk of developing an infection.
Transanal Endoscopic Microsurgery in Kansas City
Only certain patients are eligible for Transanal Endoscopic Microsurgery. You must call us at (816) 941-0800 to set up an appointment to ensure that you are an eligible patient for Transanal Endoscopic Microsurgery.
If a routine colonoscopy has found a colon polyp or tumor, talk to our Colorectal Specialists in Kansas City to see if you’re a candidate for Transanal Endoscopic Microsurgery.