Diverticulitis Treatment in Kansas City
Diverticulitis is a condition that occurs when diverticula on the gastrointestinal tract become inflamed or infected. Problems with the diverticula usually stem from a tear within them.
The expertly trained colorectal surgeons at Colorectal Surgical Associates specialize in diagnosing and treating diverticulitis. Our specialists will take the time to fully evaluate your symptoms in order to determine the treatment option that is right for you. Call (816) 941-0800 to schedule an appointment at one of our offices near Kansas City today!
What Are Diverticula?
Diverticula are little pouches that protrude outward from the intestines. These diverticula are harmless, and are even quite common among those over the age of 40. Typically, you will find diverticula forming in the lower end of the large intestine, also called the colon.
Common Symptoms of Diverticulitis
Patients that have been diagnosed with diverticulitis normally report signs and symptoms such as:
- Pain and tenderness of the abdomen, usually lasting for several days
- Nausea and vomiting
It is always advised to seek medical attention if you are experiencing constant pain in your abdomen. This pain could be a warning of many different types of diseases or injuries, all of which require proper diagnosis and treatment by a licensed medical professional.
Adequate rest and antibiotics are often all that is needed to treat cases of diverticulitis that are detected early on, which is what happens a majority of the time. However, you may experience more severe symptoms and complications as the condition worsens over time.
Potential Complications of Diverticulitis
Individuals who are already dealing with an advanced case of diverticulitis are at risk for several serious conditions, including:
- Blockage within the colon or small intestine
- Formation of an anal fistula
- A collection of pus within the diverticula
- Peritonitis, which will happen if the infected diverticula ruptures and spills its contents into the abdominal cavity
All of these situations can cause the patient’s health to deteriorate quickly, which is why you should see a doctor at Colorectal Surgical Associates as soon as possible if you suspect you may have diverticulitis.
Even though diverticula are common, that does not make them something that you necessarily want to have growing on the walls of your intestine. In order to keep these diverticula from forming and leading to diverticulitis, you should:
- Manage a healthy weight through diet and exercise.
- Add more fiber to your everyday diet.
- Stay hydrated.
- Avoid smoking, as smokers are twice as likely to develop diverticulitis.
- Pay attention to potential side effects of any new medication you begin to take, especially when it comes to
- Opiates, steroids, and NSAIDs.
Schedule an Appointment
If you believe you are suffering from diverticulitis or have any questions about the treatment, call Colorectal Surgical Associates of Kansas City today at (816) 941-0800.